I am a new(ish) runner. I started like a lot of runners with it being someone elses idea… my charming niece asked me to join her in a “5K”. Bear in mind I have never ever run before and I was asked this while drinking wine and felt all warm and fuzzy about the ”idea” of running. The next day I went out to run around Haller Lake. I did not make it very far before the huffing and puffing commenced. I didn’t let this minor annoyance get to me if so many people could do this…why couldn’t I? So each day I would put on my shoes and try to push just a bit longer or faster.
The magic starts to kick in after a couple of weeks. The changes are not only physical but also mental. At some point pretty early on you come to the realization that you are your own worst enemy. The mind will come up with all kinds of excuses as to why you shouldn’t be running today….it’s raining…my knee hurts…I think I’m coming down with a cold…I just don’t have the time today…Well you get the idea. You have to face your inner demons and persevere when a normal person would just stop.
So when it comes to the beauty aspect of running here is what I’ve learned so far:
- If you want to lose weight you have to run longer than 30 minutes (turns out the body doesn’t want to burn fat until then) and be careful with how many calories you consume.
- Sweat is fantastic for cleaning out impurities from skin
- Wear mineral makeup (glo minerals is my favorite) at races…yes you heard me right! It won’t come off, it works as sunscreen and you will be pleased with your finishing photos.
Special thank you to Steven Bisig Photography for taking this great finish line photo!
- There are a lot of choices for attractive running attire these days…treat yourself and wear them. I got this fabulous outfit from Luluemon pictured below for Christmas from my niece Holli. Running skirts are also great in the warmer weather. The great part is now the clothes are comfortable, functional and pretty!
- The changes that happen inside will start to show on the outside. You absolutely glow when you prove to yourself that yes you are able to do this.
So take my word for it … go out and start running pretty. You won’t regret it!